Wednesday, April 8, 2015

EF #14: A Memory of a Sailormoon Addict




1996.
A group of 6th graders was packed in a 3x3m2 room, laughing out loud. One of them held a comic book while ohers acted as a cat named Luna and a girl named Usagi. They were trying to bring the story in the comic into a play. Although there was no audience, these 4 girls and a boy had a lot of fun.

2015.
I was smiling in front of my laptop, thinking how I was so addicted to Sailormoon at that time. If you were born in 80’s, you must have known this Japanese cartoon character. No, they are not sailors although they wear sailor-like uniform. They are five junior high school girls, who transform into pretty soldiers to fight evils and protect the universe.

As a little girl turning teenager, I didn’t want to be outdated. So, when Sailormoon fever attacked, I was one of the victim hahah.. I started to read the comic first and fell in love with the story and characters. I don’t know how much my parents spent on my Sailormoon addiction, but I think it’s quite a lot since almost every week I bought something to add up my Sailormoon collections. (I definitely will not do this to my son later)

To make it easier to remember, I list down some silly things I did as a big fan of Sailormoon.
1.                   I and my “gank” went to Malioboro Mall to hunt for Sailormoon cards. It was like a playing card but with interesting colors, one of Sailormoon characters, and of course Japanese letters that we couldn’t translate. We bought cards frequently and put them inside a business card book.
2.                   Not only cards, I also wore Sailormoon t-shirt, earrings, necklace, and even brought water bottle with Sailormoon prints on it. The farthest location to buy my collection was Semarang (while I lived in Jogja). Hahah, too muchhh..!
3.                   In my gank, each of us acted as a sailor. I became Ami Mizuno a.k.a sailor Mercury. This character was known as the smart one, who likes to study. One day, when I couldn’t answer the questions during exam, I touched Sailor Mercury’s picture on my notebook, and hoped that she would transfer her smartness to me! Oh yeah, you can call me crazy.
4.                   I remembered all the character’s name and personality, how they relate to each other, knew the difference in every comic variation, and wrapped each comic with plastic cover tidily.
5.                   I always bought Hoplaa, a weekly tabloid for kids since it covered complete stories about Sailormoon. I collected them, while cut stories from other tabloids and magazines then stick them in a book as clippings.

I don’t remember when that crazy addiction stopped. What I remember, when I graduated from elementary school I began to collect everything about a yellow little bird called Tweety, although it was not as much as Sailormoon.

Now, nothing’s left but a memory. I still don’t understand how a cartoon character affected me so much. I became a consumptive little girl. I’m sure nowadays things like that still exists but in a different form. Is there any positive side? I guess so. Reading Sailormoon and similar comics developed my imagination and creativity, while collecting stuffs made me respect processes to reach our goal.

Hmm, suddenly I wonder where all my collections are…

This post is a part of BEC's English Friday Challenge. Have a similar cartoon story? You can make one! See the rules here.

16 comments:

  1. aku juga waktu smp seneng sailormoon *tos!* tuxedo bertopeng lope lope... hihihihi
    btw thn 1996 maih kelas 6 SD? glegh.. muda sekaliiii #gagalfokus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lebih muda lagi yang kelairan 96 mbak.. Aku suka takjub, "hah, waktu aku kelas 6, mereka baru lahir??" #ikutangafokus

      Delete
  2. A saliormoon fan.
    With the power of the moon.
    Happens that I also watch this series. My fave is Mars.

    Ryanfilewordpresscom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some entries for the challenge this week and I think some wrote about Sailormoon :D Sailormoon was my fav cartoon too and Sailor Mars was my fav character. I collected Sailormoon merchandise too :D

      Delete
    2. Waaa..toss again, Mas! So America's Next Top Model isn't the only tv program we both like :)

      Delete
    3. you did, mbak? i think it's gonna be fun if we still have the merchandise and do some exchange :)

      Delete
  3. hahaha.... really really addicted I think, maybe if sailormoon's member are human being, they will be proud to have a fan like you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also liked sailor mercury. later I wonder how mercury connected with water as the planet itself is totally dry. ah, this was all about fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you think scientifically mbak.. Well, I'm sure that a lot of children learn from comics, so every fantasy story should provide knowledge that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah Mba Menur, you are truely a sailormoon holic XD
    1996 I still a 2nd grader :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waaaa~~~
    As a Sailormoon addict you are the best mbak..still remember about them.

    Can't hide my smile while reading your story above :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. halah, hihihi... but I didn't know that Luna gave Usagi power to be a Sailormoon ( I knew from your post :D)

    ReplyDelete